Residence Life Resident Advisor
This application is for students interested in the following position:
Please click the job title(s) below to review their description and eligibility requirements
The Resident Advisor (RA) position is unique because it is a para-professional position that offers an opportunity to develop skills and
behaviors that will become valuable in a wide range of fields. Training, employment expectations, and supervision are
designed to provide staff members with experiences that will assist in transitioning to professional work experiences.
Resident Advisor candidates should download and complete two Candidate Reference Request Forms(one from a Residence Life Hall Director/Graduate Intern,
and one from a previous employer/an advisor/faculty member) by 11:59pm, February 6th, 2017.
First year RA's are not permitted to hold internships or student-teach during the contract period. Furthermore, the sum of part-time work, student leadership,
and community service cannot exceed 15 hours per week. Please note that you must be on track to complete 40 credits or more by the end of the Spring 2017 in order to be eligible for an RA interview.
Candidates must meet the following at the time of application to be eligible to interview:
- Minimum 2.5 overall GPA. Candidates and staff members must have at the time of application and maintain a semester and overall GPA of 2.5 for the duration of employment for undergraduate students. Graduate students must have and maintain a minimum of a 3.0 GPA at the time of application and during employment.
- Minimum of 12 credits earned at SCSU. Candidates must have a minimum of 40 credits at the time of employment for undergraduate students. Graduate students must have a minimum of 9 earned credits at application and 18 credits at time of employment or meet the minimum credit and GPA requirements as an SCSU undergraduate student.
- Have lived in an SCSU residence hall for a minimum of one semester at the time of application.
- Completion of an online application and submission of two reference requests. One reference must be completed by a current Residence Hall Director or Graduate Intern in Residence from Southern Connecticut State University.
- Must be a matriculated, enrolled student at SCSU and eligible to live on campus.
- All candidates are subject to academic, conduct, and background checks prior to employment offers and start of employment.
- 17th - SRA / RA Applications go live.
- 19th – RA info session 2pm (ASC 311)
- 23rd – RA info session 1pm (Wilkinson Lobby)
- 24th - RA info session 7pm (North Campus)
- 24th - RA Advertisement Tables 1pm – 3 pm (ENG)
- 25th - RA info session 6pm (ASC 312)
- 26th - RA Advertisement Tables 5pm – 7 pm (Conn)
- 27th - RA info session 1pm (ASC 311)
- 30th - RA info session 7pm (Farnham Program Space)
- 30th – RA Intent Letter out
- 31th - RA Advertisement Tables 5pm – 7 pm (Conn)
- 1st - RA info session 2pm (Farnham Program Space)
- 2nd - RA info session 8pm (Farnham Program Space)
- 6th – RA Applications due
- 10th and 11th – RA Group Process with NSSP
- 13th through 22nd – RA Interviews